Skip to main content

The Postscript

I was on a call, walking across the dining room of their home, completely engrossed in the conversation with my mother. Their double pedestal 18th century French style 10-seater table lay cluttered with papers, documents, bills,etc. under the glimmering crystal chandelier. As I was walking and my finger carelessly running through rim of the table, my eyes caught the attention of two baronial envelopes with the recipients addressed on them. One read " To Daddy, From Son" , the other "To Son". But what caught my attention was not this, but the postscript just a few inches below the latter note. It read, "P.S: Sorry for my poor handwriting".
Knowing the father in this context, and having read such a postscript, my mind wandered into deep thoughts about this man. It raced back to the memories of the last weekend of June when the blissful days with Her Holiness also brought with it new relationships that will be cherished for a lifetime. Here is a man of great experience in his late 60s. His experiences in life cannot be summarized in a few sentences. A graduate level student of biochemistry from India who came to the US to do his Masters in an area for which he has intense passion. Unfortunately for him, it was then that economic depression of the 80's struck America and there was lack of funds in educational institutions and even the professor he was to work under. Desperate years of work in small convenient stores and warehouses passed when he finally decided to change his field of study to Optics, one that was of higher demand in the job market. With his wife and first child he completes his part time graduate studies from a university, and soon enters the corporate world. Today he is 60 something and as he speaks about biochemistry, I see his eyes glisten with the passion for it and yet there is a tinge of sorrow of having not been able to achieve his ambition for the sake of winning the battle of survival. Further, having had chemotherapy done for treating his colon cancer he has yet again won another battle, one of existence, but what he passively lost in this was control over the motor nerves, control over maintaining a sharp memory, little things such as forgetting the place where he last left the car keys, or simple numbers, shivering of hands while holding a pen or something bigger, general weakness, etc.
This is a man of high academic record from his home country who had once come to America to build a life for his family from the scratch, with dreams of pursuing his fervor for Biochemistry and is now past-retirement, happy in this country that he has adopted yet with certain things lost in life. This is a man for whom I have immense admiration and affection for the kindness and integrity that is in abundance in him. This is a man who has already left an imprint in my heart that will never erase in a lifetime. And finally, this is a man who has taught me many a lessons in life from his own life's story.
All this is what came to my mind when I read his postscript...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Innocence and Children

When I used to sing Akhiyon ke jharokon se (not as a dedication to a 2 year old :) )to Ananya, my youngest cousin ; simply cause I loved the song and she probably loved the tune or (if I may hope) to listen to me sing, she would just rest her little head on my chest and look up at me... watch me sing. I would feel an utmost sense of contentment in life at that moment, seeing her innocent, loving eyes looking at me and loving me with no prejudices. Loving me, the way only a child can do and no one else can... not even me. I wish we all had that much of a clarity in thoughts, in actions and in love as much as a child has. I wish we all were not stripped off that innocence we had as children. I wish to be a child again... This is a dedication to the most beautiful child I've ever known... To the one who has already won so many hearts around her and is here to conquer many more... To Ananya...

Les Miserables - II

Here's the next one... Bring Him Home (Valjean is standing over Marius at the barricade) [VALJEAN] God on high Hear my prayer In my need You have always been there He is young He's afraid Let him rest Heaven blessed. Bring him home Bring him home Bring him home. He's like the son I might have known If God had granted me a son. The summers die One by one How soon they fly On and on And I am old And will be gone. Bring him peace Bring him joy He is young He is only a boy You can take You can give Let him be Let him live If I die, let me die Let him live Bring him home Bring him home Bring him home. Jean Valjean is the central character of Victor Hugo's 1862 novel Les Miserables. Marius Pontmercy a character from the same novel.

Ignorance is bliss??

This is a different sort of a post from me today. I am very nostalgic today as I listen to my malayalam playlist. After traversing half the globe, and just after 2 months of my stay here, I have begun to miss my mother-tongue. I miss my home-town in general. I miss Malayalam.... I miss the divine atmosphere of the temples.... I miss the reverberating moments during the deeparadhanas .... I miss the smell of wet earth... I miss the sight of greenery like how its in Kerala... I miss the sight of towering coconut trees... I miss the sight of the language in the shop boards and compound walls.... I miss the feel of the humid air rather than the conditioned air here... I miss the chaos on the streets... I miss the sight of backwaters... I feel overwhelmed with so much of emotions and love for the language as the melody of the music fills my heart. But as I express these melancholic feelings... I am also filled with ignominy towards the nonchalant people of a common mother-tongue about their