Skip to main content

Les Miserables - I

Now, after so many months of dormancy, I would like to just post the lyrics of a couple of songs from the musical 'Les Miserables' . Must say, these are some of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a while... Here is the first one...


I Dreamed a Dream

[Fantine is left alone, unemployed and destitute]

[FANTINE]

There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came

And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.




Fantine is a character in Victor Hugo's 1862 novel Les Miserables.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Innocence and Children

When I used to sing Akhiyon ke jharokon se (not as a dedication to a 2 year old :) )to Ananya, my youngest cousin ; simply cause I loved the song and she probably loved the tune or (if I may hope) to listen to me sing, she would just rest her little head on my chest and look up at me... watch me sing. I would feel an utmost sense of contentment in life at that moment, seeing her innocent, loving eyes looking at me and loving me with no prejudices. Loving me, the way only a child can do and no one else can... not even me. I wish we all had that much of a clarity in thoughts, in actions and in love as much as a child has. I wish we all were not stripped off that innocence we had as children. I wish to be a child again... This is a dedication to the most beautiful child I've ever known... To the one who has already won so many hearts around her and is here to conquer many more... To Ananya...

Les Miserables - II

Here's the next one... Bring Him Home (Valjean is standing over Marius at the barricade) [VALJEAN] God on high Hear my prayer In my need You have always been there He is young He's afraid Let him rest Heaven blessed. Bring him home Bring him home Bring him home. He's like the son I might have known If God had granted me a son. The summers die One by one How soon they fly On and on And I am old And will be gone. Bring him peace Bring him joy He is young He is only a boy You can take You can give Let him be Let him live If I die, let me die Let him live Bring him home Bring him home Bring him home. Jean Valjean is the central character of Victor Hugo's 1862 novel Les Miserables. Marius Pontmercy a character from the same novel.

Ignorance is bliss??

This is a different sort of a post from me today. I am very nostalgic today as I listen to my malayalam playlist. After traversing half the globe, and just after 2 months of my stay here, I have begun to miss my mother-tongue. I miss my home-town in general. I miss Malayalam.... I miss the divine atmosphere of the temples.... I miss the reverberating moments during the deeparadhanas .... I miss the smell of wet earth... I miss the sight of greenery like how its in Kerala... I miss the sight of towering coconut trees... I miss the sight of the language in the shop boards and compound walls.... I miss the feel of the humid air rather than the conditioned air here... I miss the chaos on the streets... I miss the sight of backwaters... I feel overwhelmed with so much of emotions and love for the language as the melody of the music fills my heart. But as I express these melancholic feelings... I am also filled with ignominy towards the nonchalant people of a common mother-tongue about their